Title 24 is complex; MaxLite makes it simple.

California’s Title 24 is ongoing legislation that aims to reduce energy consumption in the state through the regulation of construction and building standards. Under changes that went into effect July 1, 2014, new construction for residential and non-residential lighting projects must follow specific energy-saving guidelines to comply with Title 24.

MaxLite offers a wide range of commercial, industrial and residential lighting products that can be configured with accessories to comply with the latest Title 24 standards.

More Information about Title 24:
California Energy Commission Website
Title 24 Energy Efficiency Hotline:
800-772-3300 (toll-free from within California) or
916-654-5106; title24@energy.state.ca.us

Residential Lighting Overview
Non-Residential Indoor Overview
Non-Residential Outdoor Overview

What’s new for Title 24 in 2017?

Title 24 2016 frequently asked questions (short answers):
How does T24 differ from T20?
(T24 is a building code, T20 is an appliance code, applicable to products sold at retail)

Q: When is the new version of T24 (Title 24 2016) effective?
(Jan. 1, 2017)

Q: Does T24 apply to all fixtures?
(Only applicable for luminaires installed in new construction where building permits are needed)

Q: What are the major changes in T24 2016?
(For residential: only “high efficacy” luminaires, lamps must be included at time of inspection, most sources must be JA8 compliant and labeled/registered as such. Non-residential requirements did not undergo significant changes for T24 2016)

Q: Is there a such thing a TITLE 24 COMPLIANT luminaire?
(No. Since T24 is a building code, there is not really such a thing a T24 compliant luminaire. However, a luminaire may be designed to meet the high efficacy requirements of T24 2016)

Q: What is the definition of a “High Efficacy” luminaire for T24 206?
(Unless the luminaire is exempted per Table 150-A*, the luminaire must include light sources that are JA8-compliant. Such light sources are required to meet the JA8 requirements as outlined by the state which include minimum 90CRI+R9>50, low flicker rate of less than 30%, 0.9PF, special markings, and other requirements)

Q: What luminaires are exempted from JA8 requirements? Which luminaires automatically are classified as “High Efficacy?”
o (Pin-based linear fluorescent luminaires using electronic ballasts.
o Pin-based compact fluorescent luminaires using electronic ballasts.
o Pulse-start metal halide luminaires.
o High pressure sodium luminaires.
o Luminaires with GU-24 sockets and CFLs
o Luminaires with hardwired high frequency generator and induction lamp.
o Inseparable SSL luminaires installed outdoors.
o Inseparable SSL luminaries with colored light sources for decorative lighting purpose. )

Q: What is JA8?
(Joint Appendices 8. A set of specifications required by the state of California for many light sources used in luminaires that intend to be used to satisfy high efficacy requirements of the Title 24 2016 building code)

Q: What is JA10?
(JA10 is the special section of the joint appendices that outlines the Flicker test setup for JA8 light sources.)

Q: Are special markings required on the fixture, light sources, or packaging?
(Most light sources must be marked: “JA8-2016” or “JA8-2016-E” for products tested at elevated temps for enclosed or recessed environments)

Q: Do my fixtures have to be registered on the CEC database?
Luminaires with integral LED sources must be registered on the CEC database. Luminaires that have changeable lamps must be installed with lamps that are JA8-compliant and these lamps must be registered on the CEC database.

Q: Special requirements for downlights in Title 24 2016?
(Yes. Downlights must include JA8-compliant lamps, can NOT contain scree based lamps, can NOT use light sources that are labeled “not for use in enclosed or recessed fixtures.”)

Q: Are products available now that are already JA8 compliant?
(No, since the CEC has not yet completed the electronic database that would allow JA8 compliance. The expected timetable for release of this database is late October 2016 per the California Energy Commission. If you would like to encourage the commission to speed up this timetable, please send a comment to Bruce.Helft@energy.ca.gov )

Q: Where can I find all of the requirements for T24 2016, including the joint appendices (JA8)?
(On the California Energy Commission’s website: http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2016standards/)

(Note the most pertinent information pertaining to residential lighting are in Section 150.0 and in Joint Appendices 8)

Q: Does residential outdoor lighting need to meet the new JA8 requirements including high CRI? Controls, photocells needed?
(If the residential outdoor fixtures is an ”Inseparable SSL Luminaire,” meaning it includes an integral LED light engine, Table 150.0-A shows it is exempted from the JA8 light source requirements that include the need for high CRI. However, it still will need to be controlled by a photocell/motion sensor, photocell/time switch, time clock, or special emergency management control system)

Q: What is the enforcement procedure for T24?
(Buildings will not receive permits if the products installed are not compliant. Inspectors are instructed to visually inspect and confirm luminaires are high efficacy. Inspectors will be looking for products that use exempted technology, or products marked with JA8-2016/JA8-2016-E)

Q: Do I have to include lamps in the box with the luminaire?
(No. Lamps that meet applicable requirements must be in the fixture at the time of inspection, but do NOT have to be included in the package.)
(Note that one of the new requirements is that a Lighting Schedule must be delivered to the homeowner after final inspection. The schedule should show all interior luminaires and lamps installed.)

Title 24 Frequently Asked Questions

Outdoor Lighting
Q: Which major changes affect outdoor lighting under the 2013 Code of Title 24?
A:  With a few exceptions, motion sensors, photo controls and scheduling controls are now required on most outdoor lighting so that they turn off during daylight hours or reduce their power by at least 40% when the area is not in use.

Q: I am installing a flood light on the top of a 30-ft. pole. Do I need to have a motion sensor control?
A: No. Motion sensor controls are required, in addition to photo controls and scheduling controls, for all outdoor lighting mounted 24 feet high or lower, and for any incandescent luminaires over 100 watts.

Q: On a parking garage application, can I maximize my energy savings by reducing the lighting fixture power consumption by 90%?
A: No. Parking garage, parking areas, loading and unloading areas and general lighting areas must reduce at least 50% of the design power, but not lower than 20%

Q: I hear that covered parking garages are considered indoor applications under Title 24. Is it true and how will that affect my design?
A:  Yes. Covered parking garages are considered indoor areas and daylighting zone requirements have to be considered. When primary side lit zones receive sufficient daylight to reach levels above 150% of that provided by electric lighting when no daylight is available, controls must reduce lighting power to zero.

Q:  Does Title 24 also affect the lighting on my outdoor sales areas?
A: Yes. Outdoor sales areas must meet Title 24’s outdoor lighting requirements and they must also automatically reduce the lighting power by at least 40%, but not more than 80%, during vacant periods. Once the space becomes occupied the lighting power can switch back to the higher light level.

Q: Does my stairwell lighting have to dim?
A: Yes. Title 24 (Section 130.1.0) requires indoor hardwire fixtures to have occupancy sensors with a minimum 50% step dimming, full off ability, and daylight harvesting controls.

Q: What if I need more than 50% dimming?
A: Title 24 (Section 130.1.0) requires indoor hardwire fixtures to have occupancy sensors with a minimum 50% step, full off ability, and daylight harvesting controls.  However, stairwells are “partial on/off” per 130.1.(c)6.C, and need a minimum 50% step.

MaxLite dimming drivers typically dim below 10% unless stated otherwise.  See manufacturer’s controls for dimming limits of sensors.

MaxLite Utility Wrap and Vapor Tight fixtures with occupancy sensors can be adjusted to dim from 0-50%, depending on preference.

Q: What types of wall controls can work with the Utility Wrap and Vapor Tight products?
A: MaxLite uses 0-10-volt sinking drivers.  Consult with the product data sheet and controls manufacturer to confirm technologies are paired properly.

Parking Garage
Q: Does my parking layout lighting have to dim?
A: Title 24 (Section 130.1(c)7.B) requires the following for indoor parking: occupancy sensor with minimum one step between 20-50% of designed lighting power, and be able to automatically turn on to 100%. Parking will not have ‘auto off’ requirement

Parking fixtures will still need to have the potential to meet the 10-100% continuous dimming requirement of Table 130.1A.

Q: How do I meet dimming requirements?
A: Dimming can be met by using a separate sensor and controls, or an integrated control in the fixture.

There are many Vapor Tight and Utility Wrap fixtures available with an integral sensor ready for Title 24 compliance.

All MaxLite Vapor Tight and Utility Wrap fixtures use dimming drivers capable of 10-100% dimming levels.

Q: Does this affect all parking applications?
A: No, only indoor structure parking is affected.  Outdoor parking will be treated as a separate type.

Q: Am I stuck with my lighting systems’ dimming levels after construction? What if it’s too bright?
A: MaxLite Utility Wrap and Vapor tight fixtures with occupancy sensors can be adjusted to dim from 0-50% depending on preference. If reducing the output, you would be improving the lighting power density calculation filed with your building permit. If you are trying to increase brightness, you should consult your local building department before changes.

Highbay Fixtures (Industrial)
Q: Is highbay lighting affected by the new standards?
A: Yes. Highbay is classified as “non-residential/indoor and unconditioned” space, so it is affected.

Q: Does my highbay lighting have to dim?
A: Title 24, Section 130.1.0 requires Indoor hardwire fixtures have occupancy sensor with minimum 50% step, full off ability, and daylight harvesting controls. However, HB is “partial on/off per 130.1.(c)6, & needs minimum 50% reduction

A: Typically the fixture would need to be built using a dimming-rated driver. The controls will need to be paired based on the driver technology. MaxLite typically uses 0-10-volt sinking drivers.

Q: What if I need more than 50% dimming?

A: Title 24 (Table 130.1A) shows LED luminaires to require 10-100% continuous dimming. MaxLite dimming drivers typically dim below 10% unless stated otherwise.  See the controls manufacturer’s information for dimming limits of sensors.

MaxLite’s linear highbay with occupancy sensors can be adjusted to dim from 0-50%, depending on preference.

Fluorescent Highbay Applications
Q: I want to use T8 or T5 linear fluorescent highbays on my job, is it affected?
A: Linear highbay fluorescents have to be calculated for lighting power density (LPD). NA8 dictates the wattages that can be used in LPD calculation, and how manufacturing should list power ratings.

Q: Does my linear PL highbay have to meet dimming requirements under the new standard?
A: Highbay applications have to meet dimming requirements.

Residential CFL
Q: I am specifying CFL fixtures using GU24 lamps into my kitchen plan. Will I comply with T24?
A: GU24 are automatically high efficacy rated per Title 24-2013 Table 150.0(a).

Q: I went to the CEC web site to see what was available, and did not see any MaxLite CFL GU24 flush mounts there, why?
A: The CEC does not require CFL luminaires be listed on the CEC web site

Q: I am specifying for a multi-story condominium project, do I have to meet commercial qualifications?
A: High-rise residential dwelling units are classified as residential, so you only need to meet that standard.

Q: I understand lighting in garages, laundry rooms and utility rooms must have a vacancy sensor, is that true?
A: Yes, and they must use a high efficacy luminaire such as a MaxLite GU24 based fixture. The sensors should be a “normally off” type, and turn on when the space is occupied. According to Section 150.0(k)6) all other indoor lighting types can be high efficacy OR controlled by sensor.

Residential LED
Q: Are all LED fixtures affected by Title 24-2013?
A: No, only hardwire fixtures. Joint Appendix 8 (JA8) of Title 24 covers LED residential requirements.

Q: How do I know a fixture is “high efficacy” in view of this new standard?
A: GU24 sockets and integrated light engines on heat sinks are automatically high efficacy rated per T24-2013 Table 150.0(a)

Q:  Is higher CRI required now?
A: Yes, Title 24-2013 requires minimum 90 CRI only for residential fixtures

Q: Is there certain CCT allowed?
A: Residential luminaires are limited to 2700-4000K colors ranges.  Check the manufacturer’s LM-79 data to confirm actual ratings.

Q:  How do I know my fixture meets Title 24-2013?
A: JA8 covers what test standard LED fixtures must use, and the manufacturer must report the labs they were tested at.

Q:  Can I use wall dimmers with MaxLite fixtures?
A: Of course! See the package side panel or data sheet for dimming control type information.  Be sure to pair the control properly for CFL or LED luminaires

Residential portable
Q: Are my portable fixtures in my new project affected by Title 24-2013?
A: Yes, but up to 0.3w/ft of portable office light is not required to be in your lighting power density (LPD) calculation.  The use of GU24 type portables can help LPD calculations when used as a primary light source as they are high efficacy per Table 150.0-A(5)

Panels and Troffers
Q: Do MaxLite LED flat panels and troffers meet the requirements of Title 24?
A: Yes, MaxLite’s LED flat panels, Eco-T, Micro-T, and volumetric panels are ALL able to comply with Title 24 with use of appropriate controls.

Q: What controls are necessary to use with MaxLite’s LED flat panels and troffers in order to comply with Title 24?
10-100% continuous dimming AND an ON/OFF switch
                        OR a photo control
                        OR an occupancy sensor

Q: Are MaxLite’s residential downlights compatible with Title 24?
A: MaxLite’s line of 90 CRI residential downlights are able to comply with Title 24 when paired with controls.  Their model numbers end in “C”.
Q: What type of controls do I need in stairwells and hallways?
A: You need occupancy sensors that reduce power by at least 50%, in buildings that are not residential in nature.  Lights from all paths of egress should also illuminate.

Q: What are the efficacy standards for LED fixtures under Title 24?
A: Minimum efficacies are based on power consumed. Luminaires consuming more than 40W are required to have an efficacy of at least 90 lm/W.  Luminaires consuming 15W-40W are required to have an efficacy of at least 60 lm/W.